04 January 2016

Getting started - by willyg

Happy New Year! I spent several hours of a quiet evening at home at the end of the year, mulling carefully over ideas for upcoming knitting in the new year. Perhaps I took it a bit too seriously, but that is one part of the process that I quite enjoy. For Stonecrop, I had three or four good options in stash that I was tossing about. In the end, I went with my first choice - Isager Strik Alpaca Merino 2 in a light blue. Like most everything else in stash, the original plan for the yarn had not come to fruition, so it was nice to find a good outlet for this yarn to get its wings. 

As midnight passed, kisses were exchanged, and a lovely peach apricot chardonnay was sipped to completion, I cast on using a crochet hook to execute the provisional portion. After a short bit of fighting with the decreases in fine yarn, I opted for the next needle size up in order to use some lace tips. I knit several repeats of the bottom border before we decided to call it a night, figuring the start on the smaller size needle will block out without drawing attention to itself. 

I decided to make the process easy by splurging on a magnetic chart keeper, and I feel pretty good about it. Following the chart is what bogged me down on Ludlow, and I have full confidence that I will make great headway with both projects. 

 

I'm loving the feel of the yarn and the lace, as well as the garter stitch. It's not as visually pleasing for lace, but I take comfort in the fact that the wearer will never have to fuss over turning the right side out before wearing it, and that it will have a bit of "body" or perhaps "squoosh."

That's all I've got for now... cheers, and happy knitting!

5 comments:

  1. What a gifted writer you are. Happy 2016! I will be re-reading your post several times. I can see so clearly the beginning of your journey. Highly agree with your yarn choice. Please continue your story, can't wait for your next post~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I chuckled when I saw you were using Isager 1...I had considered it at first! It was on sale at the LYS.

      Delete
  2. Off to a good start, Will! Happy New Year! I have a magnetic board that I'm using for the chart, but I think I'm going to enlarge it for easier reading. It's a little small. Love your yarn and color choice, btw. And I want to see your finished Ludlow, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried enlarging, but can't figure out the new printer. I will sneak in Ludlow progress as it comes along. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Off to a good start, Will! Happy New Year! I have a magnetic board that I'm using for the chart, but I think I'm going to enlarge it for easier reading. It's a little small. Love your yarn and color choice, btw. And I want to see your finished Ludlow, too!

    ReplyDelete