26 December 2012

half-a-bag-o'-cat ~ posted by Melissa

I've had a secret.  A really, really, really big secret since last January.  And I managed to keep it for just shy of an entire year from all my closest friends and family.  I did spill to a few long distance internet buddies who I swore to secrecy and now I can finally share (at least in part) with everyone else who might think this is the slightest bit cool.

I got an email at the beginning of the year asking me if I had designed anything to which I replied, 'nope'.  And then another email followed asking if I would be interested in designing something to be included in a book.  Gulp.  To which I immediately replied, 'YES'!  I was given a few guidelines ~ a shawl, using about 450 yards of yarn, simple in nature that would fit the theme of the book.  Over the next couple weeks, I sketched and swatched and submitted and tweaked and resubmitted and waited for yarn to come in the mail and knit an entire shawl while I waited and then knit another to be featured in the book when the yarn finally arrived and wrote and rewrote and edited and rewrote the pattern and took some pictures of the final book piece before packing up the finished shawl and my pattern to be sent to a tech editor for more tweaking.  The pattern was test knit by 3 people and I knit 8 more over the course of this year so that I could give my mom, mother-in-law, sister, sisters-in-law, brother's girlfriend and my nieces each their own shawl for Christmas.  The picture off to the side is what I can show you of all 9 samples that I knit and gave away this week as gifts.

The best part of the whole thing was knowing I had this enormous secret that I managed to keep for 12 months and being able to include notes in the presents that the pattern was going to be published.  It's the biggest secret I've ever kept and definitely the longest.  I think in the end I was more excited about it than anyone else but that's okay.  It's been a fun year of knitting and planning and choosing yarns for each person.

The book is still not published, and I'm not sure that it ever will be.  That's as much as I can say about that right now.  It's completely out of my hands at this point so it's a waiting game.  The fun part is that the author is letting everyone keep copyright on their designs so we will eventually get them back whether the book sees the light of day or not.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be and I really do believe that it's just a matter of time.  I have complete faith in the gal who put the whole thing together and her message and her perseverance to see her dream through til the end.  I'm so glad she asked me to participate and I'm completely honored that she thought to include me at all.

Anywho, that's my big news and why the cat is only partially out of the bag.  Once the design is public, I'll let the other 1/2 cat out and share some photos of what I've been up to.  If you managed to read this whole post through to the end, thanks for humoring me and hope I didn't bore you to tears!

Wishing everyone a merry holiday week filled with a little rest and a little knitting and lots of family.  I'll update everyone about the upcoming New Year's Knitalong in a couple days.  Happy knitting!   ~ Melissa

16 comments:

  1. Huge Congrats again! I'm so proud of all your hard work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Kelly! and thanks for keeping it under your hat :)
    how's the Niebling coming along and are you joining us for the New Year's knitalong?

    happy holidays, friend!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Niebling is coming in starts and stops, but really helps me calm down when I need some stress relief. As for the Leaves of Grass, I'm not sure yet. I'd love to, but my knitting mojo just isn't there like it was last year. It will come back, I'm just not sure when though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no worries ~ honestly, I think the Niebling is going to be a project that takes me a couple years to complete :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just so excited for you, Melissa!!! Can't wait to hear more AND see these!! Wishing you and all yours all the best 2013 has to offer!! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks so much, Tanna! I can't wait to share them someday ~ I'm just a little proud :)

    hope 2013 brings you many visits with your kids and all your grandchildren!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations :) I hope it is in print very soon-that would be soooo exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Karen! it's exciting either way, but it would be really neat if the book were published!
      happy holidays!

      Delete
  8. I was the lucky Mother in-law to get one for Christmas and it is truly beautiful
    such a great gift. Can hardly wait for the rest. Thanks again and love it.
    By the way you keep a very good secret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Trudy ~ and good job on adding a comment! I know you read along but thanks for taking the time to pop on and say 'howdy'!

      you're a great mother-in-law so you're entirely knitworthy!

      Delete
  9. loving the shawl, I think it's so great to own an orginal,you did a beautiful job, couldn't ask for a better color. It was a big blackberry year~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was fun ordering your yarn ~ I got to pick the dye AND the fiber I wanted dyed (I think I chose BFL?)...

      I actually made yours 1 & 1/2 times since I overbeaded it the first attempt and thought it looked horrible so I ripped it out and started over again

      glad you like it :)

      Delete
  10. I have the bestest daughter. This is the very first original design I have owned and the best part is - it was designed by my daughter! My surprise is the red one on top in the posted picture. I Love It Melissa. It's just beautiful. Can't wait to see the published work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. awwww ~ thanks, mom :)
    I won't tell Nichole you said I was the bestest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a newbie and I was wondering if the KAL started yet. If not, where can I join to hear about it? Also, will a newbie be able to handle this??
    Thanks!
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chrissy ~ the kal starts January 1st and you can read about it at this link : http://www.calendarscarfkal20092010.blogspot.com/2012/12/5th-annual-girls-in-sheep-clothing-new.html

    check out the pattern ~ Leaves of Grass ~ you're the best judge of your ability so if you've done lacework and think this looks doable and you're interested, let us know!

    are you on Ravelry? if so, pm me (twoknitwit) and we can chat :)
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete