07 May 2013

Aha Moment ~ guest blogger Liz




I’m a latecomer to this group, but saw the knit-along last week and decided to ignore the mound of tote bags filled with works in progress (that I navigate like an obstacle course all over my house and in my closet) and jump in.  Any excuse to buy new yarn!

I ordered some yarn from Webs Yarn and my package was waiting for me last night when I returned home from work.  I didn’t splurge for this project, as I felt a bit guilty about a couple of big items I’m in the throes of making (where I’m using copious amounts of Rowan and Noro yarn), but I did find some Cascade fingering weight yarn that is inexpensive and should make a pretty shawl.

I used my ball winder on one skein last night and decided to attack the project.  After about a half an hour staring numbly at the neck chart with no idea what to do and experiencing a bit of low self-esteem when I read several posts on Ravelry by women who’d made this project and discussed how easy it was to knit up, I had an epiphany and suddenly the schemata made sense.  I knit 20 rows of the neck and one or two of the body.

I do like this design.  It’s complex enough to keep my interest, but isn’t one of those uber challenging patterns that I am only able to attack in the summer and fall--when my brain isn’t completely depleted of the capability to process simple information--as it typically is at the end of the school year.  (I teach high school English and by the end of second semester--after months of dealing with teenagers--I’m quite proud to simply be getting dressed in somewhat matching clothes and regularly attending class with some semblance of a lesson prepared for each day). 

Looking forward to working on this shawl this coming weekend. 

I need to get another set of size 6 needles, so I don't have to switch back and
forth between projects.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome, and I'm glad you found your breakthrough. As a teacher, I imagine it is fun to be on the other end of things. :) Kudos for sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is great to always be learning something new in the knitting area.

      Delete
  2. welcome, Liz! I'm glad you made it on to introduce yourself before you finished this project :)

    I'm happy you've joined us ~ curious to see how you like the Cascade fingering...I haven't used it yet. It's a great blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I love the guest blogger idea. The yarn I'm using is really great. I like Cascade, though; it's economical but nice quality.

      Delete
  3. I'm with Melissa...love that blue! (And I'm not a teacher, but am impressed that it takes to the 2nd semester, rather than the 2nd day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost bought Cascade. Love the color.

    ReplyDelete