15 January 2015

Girasole shawl - guest blogger Lesley

I am SO late to the party!  I have good reasons, but more about that later.

I'm working on the shawl version of Girasole, using Huckleberry Knits merino/yak/silk blend in the Browncoat colorway.  It's a very lively tonal brown - not "flat" at all.  It's a little redder in the picture than in real life.


I've just finished chart D, and I'm halfway through the first repeat of chart E.  The pattern is really easy to follow, and the repeats are simple to remember as you go around.  As Melissa mentioned in an earlier post, at this size, she's getting hard to photograph!  Here's one side of the shawl:



I can hardly wait to start the edging and start "freeing" the shawl from the needles!  I have a long way to go, though - I'm just past the halfway point.  Last night was the first time I had noticed how long the rounds are getting - and they'll be getting even longer.  What a fun, fun project!  :~D

But, you know, one project is never enough.  I was so impressed with Andrea's, Kelli's, and Shari's Ludlows at knitting last week that I decided to pick up some added "motivation" to finish Girasole.  Once she's done, I'll be casting on for Ludlow in Rowan Felted Tweed.  I'm thinking size 7s ought to do.  I'll start swatching there, at any rate.



Now, about those "reasons" I mentioned earlier!  TPTB at my apartment community decided that last week was the perfect time to put new carpet in my apartment.  So, I had to pack all of my things up to be moved out while the carpet was installed.  All the "fun" of moving, without moving.  The new carpet is lower maintenance and a better color, but not very comfortable underfoot.  I see rugs in my future!


After the installation on Friday, I got to spend the weekend turning this...


...into this. (Notice Girasole ready for her close-up on the sofa!)  And that's just the stitching room.


I filled up the car twice with things for Goodwill, and I've already started setting aside knitting goodies for the silent auction at this year's retreat.  Did I mention all the "fun" of moving?   :~P

That was followed by a work conference in Portland on Monday and Tuesday.  No pictures, but believe me, I'm doing you a favor in that omission!

Then the Apartment Dieties descended again yesterday with new appliances!  I have a new range/oven, refrigerator, and washer/dryer.  The washer/dryer stack has a higher capacity than my old one, and the range has two (yes, TWO) large burners, instead of one.  (If you've ever tried to cook Thanksgiving Dinner on an apartment range, you know what a big deal this is!)

I'm looking forward to taking next week off and getting in some much-needed knitting time!  Hopefully there won't be any more major events at home while I'm off.  Getting new things is very nice, but I need a break.

16 comments:

  1. What a great way to start the day...a post from Lesley! First off, congrats on your 'new' space ~ I can tell it's the home of a crafter ~ goodies everywhere!! Hopefully new appliances and carpet were worth all the hassle ~ it looks fantastic and very homey. I've already started putting things away for next year's retreat as well!

    I love your yarn and how perfectly the lace is taking to it. It's funny how we assign our projects gender...lace usually being referred to as 'her' or 'she'...although my Girasole in worsted weight is so big and heavy and cumbersome to work on right now I feel like it's turning into an unruly teenage boy :).

    I'm hoping to make it to WildFibers on Thursday, January 29th ~ maybe I'll see you there!

    Great post and thanks for sharing with everyone, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps - I think I'm doing Ashby next...and then Stonecrop...and then Ludlow :)

      Delete
    2. haha ~ we shall see...I haven't worked on my Girasole for 3 days since my hands are aching from the weight of the blanket, so now I'm underachieving :)

      if good intentions qualify you as an overachiever, though, I'll own it !

      Delete
    3. LOL ~ I just read something that said "Ideas turn into things", so I would say intentions definitely count.

      Delete
  2. I love the Firefly reference ~ Probably one of my favorite TV shows of all time. Maybe it's time to revisit that one...

    Your Girasole is looking wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wha??? what reference and what is Firefly? maybe I should be watching things other than sports :)

      Delete
    2. Firefly is a MUST. I think Jason would like it. Mike bought us the entire season and the movie. We have watched it more than once. Wanna borrow it? I would be happy to bring it to ur office.

      Delete
    3. don't make a special trip but sure, I'll borrow ... whenever you're in the area

      thanks P3 :)

      Delete
    4. I'll bring it sometime next week. The characters really grow on you.

      Delete
    5. I would highly recommend it. There are only about 12 episodes or so, and I savored them! Then I watched the movie, which tied up the loose ends that were left when the show was cancelled unexpectedly.

      Delete
    6. FYI - It's also on Netflix if you have it...

      Delete
  3. Lesley... your place looks great. Boy, you have been busy. Love the yarn you chose for Girasole, and it's coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lesley,
    The Girasole is looking great. Between you and Melissa I may have to do the FloodFlock'15 2.0 and knit Girasole. So pretty. Your apartment looks great. Enjoy all the 'newness.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. your reasons for starting are great, new carpet, new appliances, how exciting! love your girasole knit project, so pretty and yes why not knit another project!! Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shawl is lovely and it sounds like the rearranging will be worth it - new carpet and appliances - great reward!

    ReplyDelete