24 November 2012

here a knitter, there a knitter ~ posted by Melissa


We had a break in our nasty fall weather today so I ran down to Lighthouse Beach in Mukilteo to snap some pictures of this year's Christmas knitting before wrapping everything up.  Met quite a few really nice people...who were knitters, imagine that!  One woman stopped to chat for a few minutes and since it's small business Saturday, wanted to know where 'my shop was' so she could go make a few purchases.  She was shocked when I told her I knit for fun and don't sell what I make.  Unlike a lot of people, though, she totally understands the time that it takes to make something by hand (her mother was a knitter) and said she'd be willing to pay enough for a handmade garment to reimburse a crafter for their time and to get the quality you don't find in most store bought items.  I almost gave her a hug ~ she was awfully sweet.  I also met a college gal named Mae (hello, Mae ~ don't forget everything you saw and heard is TOP SECRET!) who I exchanged contact info with so we could find each other on Ravelry.  She actually approached me to ask if I was taking pictures to post on Rav ~ like I said, knitters...they're everywhere!  I gave her some tips on my favorite shops since she lives in Eastern Washington so she made a list ~ Churchmouse, Weaving Works and Wildfibers ~ all must visits I think!


Hope everyone had a cozy Thanksgiving and is enjoying the long weekend.  I better get ~ I've got lots of wrapping to do! 

7 comments:

  1. love the photos of the ocean, you are so lucky to live near there :) I like the idea of getting money for knitting but then I think I would dislike knitting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Karen, for helping me figure out the 'embedded' thing ~ exactly what I was trying to change!

      you rock!

      Delete
  2. i love knitters everywhere! and how i'd love to visit those shops, churchmouse, sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen ~ that's Puget Sound you see in the pics (walking distance from my house~I am lucky!) but the ocean isn't that far away!

    Lori ~ I have a funny feeling with as much as you travel you will someday make it up this way and you can check Churchmouse off your list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, to live so close to the ocean.... {sigh}... And, yes, knitters are the BEST! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we do live close...to the ocean, the mountains, farmland, the desert (of a sort) ~ you can pretty much get anything you're looking for within an hour or two drive from where we live

      we are lucky!! and I agree wholeheartedly, knitters ARE the best!

      Delete
  5. Such a lovely day, and how nice to meet new knitters. Enjoy the holidays. I look forward to when you change those yarn samples into photos in your projects. Dying to see what you have made. Hugs... Pen

    ReplyDelete