16 June 2011

Vacation ~ Vol 6

I feel my time off winding down and I'm not ready for it to be over with.  I'm having too much fun!  Today I got to go sit and knit with the group I go on retreat with in October.  They meet weekly ~ I meet 4 times a year when I'm on vacation from work.  It's always fun to visit with everyone and see what they've been up to.  Met Kelli first for coffee and then followed her to the coolest shop in Burlington, Stowe's Shoes and Clothing, where we lucked upon a sidewalk sale.  I scored 3 pairs of shoes (badly needed) one of which was on sale.  I'll definitely make the trek that far north for shoes in the future ~ they had all my favorite brands.  Then we met the gals for knitting at Wildfibers for a few hours.  I ran across the street to Easton's Books to try and find a used set of the Anne of Green Gables series.  No such luck but I did find the very sweet book in the picture above.  It's called The Little Wooden Doll by Margery Williams Bianco (copyright 1925) to add to my old children's book collection.  It's about a lonely old fashioned hinged wooden doll that lies neglected in an attic until the spiders knit her a lace dress and the moths give her velvet off their wings for a new cloak and the mice bring her corn silk for new plaits in her hair.  Then the birds and mice scoop her up and take her to a lonely little girl that lives in the woods who loves her forever and names her Rose, the name the wooden doll has always longed to be called.  I love a good story!  ~ Melissa

2 comments:

  1. I am sad that your vacation is winding down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute book...knitting spiders? must go fast with 8 legs working~

    ReplyDelete