29 January 2011

Morgen's Photo Update






















































Well, here they are in all their "glory." These photos are the best examples yet of why I could never have a successful blog. I am lazy when it comes to photographing my knits. I see other people who have documented their work in beautifully artistic ways that in-and-of-themselveves are works of art. Me? Not so much. You know those gorgeous photos some people are talented enough to take of their handknit laces??? (Melissa, Kelli?? I mean you as well as others...) I actually made myself giggle out loud the other day contemplating my own photographic skills, or lack thereof. Instead of sunsets, flowers, chocolates and pearls that comprise the setting of successful lace photographs, I mentally picture mine surrounded by empty Slim Jim wrappers, pork rinds and beer cans. Oh well, I claim to be a knitter not a photographer!


So here are the photos of Days 14-21. I have completed the spacer section for Day 22 and hope to have the whole thing wrapped up and blocked on Monday. We'll see!


I have learned several things: while I love the colors of the Alpaca Sox yarn, I really don't like knitting with it that much, at least not for lace. I can feel the nylon in it, and it just disappoints me somehow. There have been days' patterns that I have loved and some that I have hated with a passion. A few have spurred my brain on to some design ideas (yay!) Overall, I really enjoy the piecemeal approach to doing these scarves, and I have LOVED every minute of chatting with new friends near and far about the process. Thank you all for keeping my nose to the grindstone and making sure that I completed this one!


I have been toying with dyepots this week trying my hand (I have no clue what I am doing) at dyeing yarn for my next shawl project, "Shipwreck" from Knitty. The shawl is actually supposed to be dyed post-knitting for a more weathered look, but it calls for 5000 beads, and I am a little nervous about how successfully one can dye a shawl and not mar the surface of the beads. Good thing too, because while my dye trial turned out beautiful in its own right, it didn't turn out the color I want. I have tried three additional overdyes and still have a beautiful but wrong color. Have ordered more yarn and will try again. In the meantime...I shall finish the calendar knit which my son has dubbed a car cozy because we think we could wrap our Highlander (the car not the Celt) in it!


How goes it with all of you?

3 comments:

  1. thanks for posting progress photos, Morgen (I feel like you're humoring me a little ~ and the 'stuff' you imagine in your mental pictures is there in mine (wine glass, candy wrappers, yesterday's junk mail.....I've just gotten really good at cropping it all out!)

    I'm so excited that you will finish this project for sure! One less wip to tug at your attentions and you can fully concentrate on Shipwreck (which I can't wait to see! 5000 beads and all!)

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic, Morgen!! My scarf is quite long as well. I have it wrapped twice around my neck when wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgen, I love the color of this yarn! And I so get what you mean about doing photography amidst living life -it ain't always pretty! I try and remember to at least push the dirty dishes and scattered newspapers, etc. out of view! Thanks for sharing your mental picture of your reality lace setting -it made me giggle too.

    ReplyDelete