08 January 2013

Joining in ~ by guest blogger Heather


Last summer Lori made a gorgeous blanket utilizing the Leaves of Grass pattern. Now pretty much everything she makes is beautiful, but this time I fell in love. I immediately favorited the pattern and made a note of the yarn. I loved how she turned the shawl into a big beautiful blanket by using a worsted weight yarn. After a month or two I bought the same yarn.

That yarn has been sitting in a little pile waiting for me to start. I kept coming up with other projects that needed to be done first. Honestly, I wasn't sure I really wanted to tackle a blanket. Last week I had just the nudge I needed to begin when she mentioned this KAL. I immediately knew I had to join. It was the little push I needed to change the yarn from skein to project. I quickly signed up before I could make any more excuses and bought the pattern that same night.

With the disappearing loop tutorial in front of me, I finally cast on this week. It took a few times of ripping out and reknitting before I felt like I was making progress. Part of this may be that I tried knitting Chart A while at the park with my kiddos. It isn't easy watching kiddos climb an adjacent butte while trying to read a knitting chart. I prevailed and am halfway through the first chart. I love it thus far. It is really beautiful. I know I won't finish this any time soon, but I now have a great project to work on while we drive across country at the end of the month!

16 comments:

  1. hi heather! i'm so glad you joined in, your pi is off to a beautiful start. i think you'll be surprised at how quickly it knits up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori. Yours really inspired me. I think it will go quickly.

      Delete
  2. It's beautiful Heather and the perfect project for a cross country trip.
    I picked my yarn up yesterday and am hoping to cast on today, although
    the thought of doing the cast on makes me sweat all over again, I think
    the first time I did it was all luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Tracey! the chart repeats are really simple to memorize and have a nice rhythm ~ perfect car project

      you're off to a grand start, Heather!

      Delete
  3. Oooooh... this is going to be gorgeous! As are each of the versions I've seen so far!! I'm admiring them greatly! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh it's beautiful already! I'm itching to start something from the centre outwards but I don't know what yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely!!! I like the color you chose, it would go great with my living room :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could get the yarn from your local Joanns and join right in ;)

      Delete
  6. nice!! thank you for commenting on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear you got the nudge you needed ;) looking good so far!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah you Heather! Glad to see you here. Your Leaves is looking beautiful so far!

    ReplyDelete