04 January 2013

Starting over ~ by guest blogger Kelly Lightbeam

You know, when things are crazy in your life, your knitting sometimes reflects it.  Jumping into this project was the best idea I've had in a while.  That said, I've kind of had some not-so-awesome things happen in between casting on and noticing that something was amiss.  We've had a houseguest, a death in the family, and my 4 year old caught something that has made her more sick than she's ever been in her life.  Somehow, amidst the chaos, I missed the increase after the first chart.  It also might be due to the fact that I'm working off a tablet instead of a printout, but whatever.  I am now the proud owner of a Leaves of Grass hat!


I'm definitely seeing the silver lining of this mistake, because the original yarn was hard on my hands, making them stiff and sore after a short time knitting.  I have decided to switch to a Zephyr laceweight wool-silk blend.  I am choosing a beautiful shade of copper, and will be right there with Kelli and Lori Ann when we all find Celtic shawl pins!
.

Here's my new yarn...(Really just an excuse to add a photo to see what's going on with the blogger)



Much love to all, I'll do my best to catch up with everyone!
Kelly Lightbeam



19 comments:

  1. kelly, i'm so sorry to hear, i really hope your little one is better soon. i was very concerned but could not stop giggling over your leaves hat. i am going slowly so don't worry about being behind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am totally taking it in stride, I'll knit a brim on, and wear it proudly! You'd think I'd know better by now, to read the directions in advance ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new hat, Kelly! You can wear it while you cast on #2 :)

    Hope your daughter is soon on the mend and the year gets better quickly ~ what a rough start. Hope your okay.

    there's no need to catch up...we still have new people jumping in and this is supposed to be fun! Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you and your family lots of good thoughts.

    And hey, it makes a really pretty hat! I'd finish that puppy off and enjoy it for what it turned out to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, Melissa :) - I almost sent you a note to see if you wanted to join us since you've been talking about knitting more for you in 2013 and it would look really nice (!) in madtosh lace (no itchy yarn for you!)

      you should think about it :) ~ Melissa

      Delete
    2. Despite my need to restart, I definitely love the pattern and would highly recommend it!!!

      Delete
  5. Everything will be alright. The child is sleeping now and I'm casting on! Thanks for your thoughtful words. I definitely think this knit is helping me too. I'll post again when the hat is finished and I have something to show for my re-start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am behind as well. So we will be late buddies! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good to me! Getting started is the hardest part, how far are you?

      Delete
    2. Thanks to Melissa I am now on Chart A row 30!
      I know the beginning on the DPNS is too crazy-heh!

      Delete
    3. it was nothing ~ that's what we're all here for! glad I could help!

      Delete
    4. That's where I'm at too. We ARE buddies!

      Delete
  7. you guys are NOT behind! there is no rush :)

    and new people are on board today that have just ordered yarn...

    deep breathe, everyone and ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the new photo ~ your copper yarn is so brilliant! love the new choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. can I tell you again how much I love your new yarn? makes me want to spice my dull gray up somehow...

    hmmm...maybe some beads in the knitted on edging? ponder ponder...

    psst ~ don't tell anyone but I LOVE your new yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just want you to know that Jeffry laughed heartily at your misery. I only giggled politely.

    I've been working up a wrap to keep my shoulders warm, and it uses the same needles I need for LOG - so at least I haven't been sailing along and leaving you in the dust.

    Nice recovery, and better luck this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I would've laughed heartily too, if it wasn't so practical to turn it into something useful ;) Glad to hear that I'm not too far behind!!!

      Thanks for the encouragement <3

      Delete