14 January 2013

of cold hands, warm hearts and a frequent visitor ~ posted by Melissa

I've set my Leaves of Grass aside for the last few days. Like Andi, playoff football and charted lace don't mix very well with me! It's been trying to snow all day (we've yet to have any this year so I'm secretly hoping for enough to make the ground white) so I'm cuddled up in a blanket catching up on a few things. I thought I'd share what I've been up to before I settle back in with our knitalong.

The postman was on our doorstep every day last week bringing all sorts of goodies from far and wide. Along with a few Christmas gifts I received, I want to share them with you!
 

Above: My favorite Christmas card this year from our kal'ers Jeff & Will...a hand knit mitten...perfect!, a wonderful card from Kelli (thanks Kel, your words meant alot), and one of my favorite Christmas gifts (also from Kelli) ~ a handmade maple scissor keeper made by the crafty husband of a gal in our knitting circle.  The felted acorn was a gift a few years ago from friend and fellow blogger, Karen at 'Pumpkin Sunrise' (thanks again, Karen!).

Off to the left, Meet Miss Christabel, my newest little friend from Melodie Stacey's etsy shop Maidolls .  I thought it was time Miss Emma had a friend.

And speaking of friends, the yarn Christabel is perched upon was a gift from fellow kal'er Annie, who sent me this gorgeous Malabrigo and a pattern to knit our new goddaughter Neoma Jane a sweater with.  Thanks sooo much Annie ~ the skein of gray Isager off to the right is on it's way to you tomorrow in return so you can knit yourself a Churchmouse scarf!  The other skein to the right was the rest of my order from Churchmouse Yarns and Teas, that will also be used to make the free scarf that's in their current newsletter (it's downloadable on their website).

Lastly, I'll show you what I have been knitting, even though it's not our knitalong ~

 
This is what Annie's gift became (above) ~ the pattern is 'in threes: a baby cardigan' by Kelly Herdrich, the yarn is Malabrigo Rios in 'Lotus' and my project notes can be found here .  Thanks again, Annie ~ this sweater will be perfect with Neoma Jane's baby blue eyes!  You're the best!
 
 
And hands down, this sweater (above) is my favorite, best-fitting sweater to date!  I'm really thrilled with how this turned out...the dozens of work-in-progress trying ons were worth it!  The pattern is free (another generous designer!) ~ it's 'Simple Summer Tweed Top Down V-Neck' by Heidi Kirrmaier, the yarn is Rowan Lima in 'Ecuador' (Jeff ~ I so wanted to put a 'Q' in there just to spite you but I couldn't bring myself to do it!), and my project notes can be found here .  I did modify it but only to fit my body shape and size ~ the pattern is perfectly written the way it is but perfectly adaptable to anyone's idea of the perfect sweater.  This one is now mine!
 
I'm really enjoying this larger knitalong group and all the camaraderie ~ it's been a joyful knit so far and I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the newest cast on pieces as well as updates from the rest of you!  Happy knitting and have a great week, all ~ Melissa

22 comments:

  1. As I said before, that sweater is smashing! Kudos! I am very tempted to use this pattern when I get around to making another sweater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmmm, did you say that before (ha ~ I know you did but you can say it as many times as you'd like ~ can't hear stuff like that enough!) ~ thanks, Will!

      Delete
  2. one of my joys in life is making other people spiteful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. and, ooh. that's a neat little baby sweater. i just made a simple one myself, but i like the one you did better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks ~ it was ridiculously simple also...I'd make it again and again!

      Delete
    2. so was the one that i just knit, but even more so. just one button hole, and no garter striping - but other than that, it looks pretty similar. i did have to rip the whole thing out once and go up needle size, but it appears that we both knit our little baby sweaters at the same time. an accidental KAL. :)

      Delete
    3. sweet ~ that means a trifecta for you and I (leaves, niebling and a baby sweater) ;)

      Delete
  4. I simply adore your sweater! I have had that pattern favored for awhile and now that I've seen yours I really must move it to my knitting list, although it will have to wait it's turn. I am almost done knitting the poncho then I really need to cast on Leaves of Grass! So many great patterns, only such much time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited to see your poncho & hear how much you love it, Tracey! I had this sweater queued for a few years waiting til I found just the right yarn for it ~ I was excited to finally cast on!

      Delete
  5. oh wow! what awesome gifts, i love the little doll you bought too. love that baby sweater as well and have made it again and again, it is so terrifically cute on (babies). and you look stunning in your new sweater. it does look like a perfect knit. i hope you've been having a good time watching all the football. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the bright yellow 'in threes' you made that's on the pattern page on rav, Lori ~ what an adorable baby it's on also!

      football was exciting and the sweater is wonderful, thanks ~ I'm loving it!

      Delete
  6. What a sweat baby sweater. Really impressed with the sweater. Looks great on you. Of course, what doesn't look good on you? Those dolls are soooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Penny! good to hear from you ~ thanks for the nice compliment (you're always full of them!) ~ hope to see you soon!

      Delete
  7. What fun treasures. Love Christabel, do you use your scissor holder? I use mine all the time and can't figure ourt how all scissors don't have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my scissor holder is right next to me when I knit ~ I use it all the time! it's wonderful ;)

      Delete
  8. love your newest sweater and that baby sweater is cute! Would you believe I've misplaced my own acorn. I put it in a safe place and now I cannot remember where!!! I think I'm getting old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ruh-roh ~ lost your acorn...hope you find it! you can always make yourself more ~ they're so cute!

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous sweater(s). I do love a good pattern that I can adjust to fit me. And fluffy mail is always a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Heather! I don't get fluffy mail too often so it's wonderful when I get some...especially when it's a gift!

      Delete
  10. Those gifts are wonderful! That doll is really something. Love her.
    Now in regards to that sweater.....WOW. You look adorable modeling it. It really is the perfect sweater. It is going in my queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try the sweater, Andi ~ I really did enjoy making it!

      Delete