23 January 2013

LESSONS LEARNED ~ guest blogger Eileen

hi, i'm eileen.i joined the kal several weeks ago and have had an up and down start. 
i thought i knew how to read a knitting chart but quickly found out i did not.
so with some help from lori at lorix5 i was up and running....
until my counts were off by chart B. so i took it back one stitch at a time . when i had the count correct i started again-
only to be off within 4 rows.
now i had been putting in hours and hours of time on this pi shawl, [ a total of 7 starts ] time that other things like dinner, cleaning and talking to my husband was not happening.
last friday i was ready to throw the entire thing in the garbage, [ saving the needles of course ],
when i decided one more try at it.
it worked, has been working
and i'm totally smitten with leaves of grass.
what i learned:
- how to read a chart 
[ did buy a book on this subject as well ]
- use markers.. lots of them
- use a life line
- ask a friend for help
thanks lori
- casting on using a disappearing loop


i am half way through chart C


i think life lines are just a good idea in LIFE.

19 comments:

  1. looks to me you are an expert lace knitter! Glad you did not quit on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you could do it! welcome, Eileen ;)
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your help and patience so I could be a guest poster. This has been the funnest KAL I have ever been part of.

      Delete
    2. I love to hear that :) ~ I'm enjoying all of you being here also!

      Delete
  3. So glad you persisted. It is beautiful! And knowing when to use lifelines is a skill in of itself. Asking for help is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are using the same yarn and I'm hoping my shawl will turn out bigger as well. I have been knitting on 6 needles, what about you. Your shawl sure is beautiful !

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you triumphed! Your leaves is looking amazing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful! it's beautiful eileen and the rest of the pattern should be just as enjoyable as it is now. i so agree that sometimes it can be discouraging when struggling with a pattern, and then so rewarding too when you stay with it and find sucess! your leaves looks like an heirloom in the making. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lori ann, your help and encouragement saved the day or should i say the knit. you have been very kind and patient with this knitter.

      Delete
  6. I am so glad you stuck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you andee, your shawl is looking really good!

      Delete
  7. I just started yesterday. It took me five times casting on until I got it right. Just hit Chart B. We can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the encouragement. i just got home from work and am so looking forward to a cup of tea and some serious time with chart C. however we are having a warm snap here maybe i should take the dogs for a walk first!

      Delete
  8. Looks beautiful, way to stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh and look and it now...just beautiful. What would do without Lori! So glad you fought the battle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on pressing through. There is a definite learning curve in this; you become sharper at catching mistakes and reading your knitting, as well as charts becoming easier to read. It gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eileen, This is GORGEOUS. I consider myself a good knitter and I can read charts but I think this project (and shawls in general) are a different animal and a whole genre all by themselves. I have never tackled life lines and large shawls. But someday I hope to and I hope my project is as beautiful as yours.

    ReplyDelete